The Art and Science of Secret Writing (Spring 2013)
Syllabus, Course Guidelines, Project
- EM Email
- STEG Steganography
- MONO Monoalphabetic substitution cryptanalysis
- VIG Vigenere Cryptanalysis
- PONT Pontifex/Solitaire Stream Cipher Algorithm
- SDES Simplified DES
- PGP1 Key Generation
Related Links (keyed to readings)
- Singh, Chapter 1
- Singh, Chapter 2
- Singh, Chapter 3
- Singh, Chapter 4
Assorted Links (not yet updated)
Other Software (not yet updated)
Bibliography (not yet updated)
These are some links to various books and journals.
- Diffie, Whitfield; Landau, Susan. Privacy On the Line : The Politics of Wiretapping and Encryption
- Availble to UPS community on-line through NetLibrary.
- Bamford, James. The Puzzle Palace.
- A history and expose of the NSA. [Chapter 8] [Chapter 9] [Chapter 10]
- Bamford, James. Body of Secrets
- A very recent update of The Puzzle Palace.
- Hodges, Andrew. Alan Turing: the Enigma
- Biography of Alan Turing. German Enigma cipher plus early computer science.
- Schneier, Bruce. Applied Cryptography
- Published in the early 90's. Already a classic. Mathematics, protocols, implementations.
- Electronic Frontier Foundation. Cracking DES
- Brute force with cheap chips. Entertaining.
- Hager, Nicky. Secret Power
- New Zealand's role in ECHELON, UKUSA Alliance, NSA partnerships. [Chapter 1] [Chapter 2]
- Stallings, W. Cryptography and Network Security.
- Advanced textbook.
- Quarterly journal for cryptology.
- Stephenson, Neal. Crytonomicon
- Fun. The featured encryption is Pontifex.
- Brown, Dan. The Davinci Code
- A novel based on cryptology. Bestseller with a main character who is a cryptographer.
This page maintained by: Rob Beezer
This is: http://buzzard.ups.edu/courses/2013spring/133s2013.html
Last updated: Spring Semester, 2013